Happy Taco Tuesday, habibi!
If things were “normal”, I would be out and about with some friends destroying some tacos somewhere in New York. But given the Rona situation, and the fact that I forgot to buy tortillas at the store, I figured that this is the best time to make homemade tortillas!
Luckily, I have a ton of steak leftovers so naturally, I’m going to make steak tacos!
Let’s get cooking, Habibis!
- Your choice of protein. I’m using steak.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour.
- 1 tsp baking powder.
- 2.5 tbsp vegetable oil.
- 1/2 cup of warm water.
- pinch of salt.
- Grape tomatoes, diced.
- 1 lime.
- Freshly grated parmesan
- In a mixing bowl, add your flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Add your oil and water, and hit the mixture in the Kitchenaid on low speed. If you don’t have a Kitchenaid, you can totally mix everything with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon first, then use your hands.
- Knead the dough until nice and smooth.
- Cover and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut the dough into small pieces and roll into balls. About the size of a golf ball. I personally prefer it if they were not even. That way you get a variety of shapes and sizes of tortillas!
- Dust a clean flat surface with flour, flatten each ball with the palm of your hand, then roll using a rolling pin. If you don’t have one, just use your hand until you get a nice circle.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet on medium heat, then gently place the tortilla in.
- After about 30 – 40 seconds, flip on the other side. You will start seeing beautiful bubbles rising.
- Once cooked, cover with a towel and cook the rest.
- Grab your leftover steak, chicken, whatever. Chop everything up and sear in a hot pan until nice and brown. Hit them with salt and pepper.
- To a warm tortilla, add some meat, some tomatoes, and squeeze some lime juice.
- Sprinkle some parmesan.
Obviously, use whatever ingredients you like in tacos. You could add onions, cilantro, parsley, or salsa. I like to keep mine simple.
If you liked this recipe, I would really appreciate it if you follow me on Instagram @wethehabibis.
You can also see my other recipes here.