So, like everyone else around the world, with every new year comes new resolutions. My resolution for 2019 is to eat more than I did in 2018. I also joined the Ketogenic diet train.
I’m no expert in diets, but if you’ve never heard about this diet before, it’s basically a high fat, moderate protein, low carbs, low sugars one. The goal of it is to put your body under a metabolic state called “ketosis” in which your body starts using fats for fuel. But if you want to learn more about it, I made it easy for you here!
I decided to do the “Keto” diet for no particular reason other than I wanted to try something new. Also, by the end of last year, I was eating carbs and sugary stuff like there is no tomorrow. Needless to say, my body didn’t feel good, and I needed to do something about it.
How long am I going to do this for? Who knows. It’s been only two weeks since I started this diet and I miss my potatoes so freaking much! I’ll keep you posted when I decide to call it quits, but for now I’m going to keep at it.
Trying the keto diet has been pretty challenging for me in terms of cooking. However, I find that this diet pushes me to be more creative in the kitchen. This might be simply because I have to substitute my rice, pasta, and potatoes (my three favorite carbs) with, well not so carby stuff.
The good thing about this diet is that it allows meats and butter!!! What else do you need, habibi?
And what better way to start things off than with a keto doube cheeseburger! What makes this burger keto? Fried eggs patties!
Let me show you how it’s done:
- 1/2 lb ground beef (80% lean)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 tbsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp sumac
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 thinly sliced tomato
- 4 whisked eggs
- A couple of fresh onion rings
- Some fresh spinach (you can use lettuce, arugula, or whatever leafy green you’re into)
- Sliced eggplant (about a quarter inch each)
- Sliced mushrooms
- Your favorite cheese (I used cheddar)
- Cooking oil
- In a bowl, add the ground beef, chopped onions and parsley, and all the spices. Use your hands to mix everything together and make sure the meat is evenly coated with everything else.
- Cut the meat in half, and make two 1/4 lb patties.
- Feel free to make the patties however thick or thin you like. Just remember that they will shrink significantly once cooked.
- Now grab your cast iron (please tell me you have one. If not go buy one. Walmart got some cheap ones that work really well.) Also grab another non-stick pan.
- Heat each pan on medium heat. We will cook the burgers in the cast iron, and everything else in the non-stick pan.
- Place the patties in the cast iron pan. Wait until they get nice and brown on one side before you flip them over. As soon as you flip them, place the cheese on top.
- “Experts” say in order to cook a burger to medium rare, you need an internal temperature between 130-135 degrees. I usually just feel the patty with my fingers. If it feels nice and juicy with a little bit of resistance when I press down on it, I know it’s done for me! But you cook your burgers however you like.
- By now cheese should be melted all over the patties. Once cooked, take the burgers out of the pan and let them rest.
- In the other pan, add about two inches of cooking oil. Let it come up to temperature and add in your eggplants. Make sure you don’t overcrowd the pan, so cook about 3-4 slices at a time. Let the eggplants get nice and golden before you take them out. FYI, you only need about 6-8 slices for this recipes.
- After the eggplants, toss in your mushrooms and cook them until golden brown.
- Time to make the eggs patties. Pour in half of your whisked eggs in the pan and cook to form a nicely round patty. Once you notice the bottom starts to give, flip on the other side. Do the same for the second half to make the other patty.
- Now all you got to do is assemble the burger!
- Place one egg patty at the bottom of the plate
- Add your leafy green
- Add one burger patty
- Add a slice or two of tomatoes
- Add a slice of two of fried eggplants
- Add some mushrooms
- Add some fresh onions rings
- Add the other burger patty, and top with tomatoes, mushrooms, and eggplants.
- Place the second egg patty on top and you got yourself a keto double cheeseburger habibi!
I placed some chopped avocado onto because I felt like it. Not mandatory but it tastes really nice with everything else.
These recipes take a long time to put together, so if you enjoy them, I would really appreciate it if you could share them with your habibis!