I was rewatching The Avengers for the 5th time the other night and I realized that probably my favorite scene of the entire movie is the post-credit clip of all the heroes eating shawarma. Think about it: THE AVENGERS are habibis!
But you know, not all heroes wear capes. Some wear aprons. Yes, I convinced myself I was a hero by not only wearing an apron, but also making chicken shawarma. Take that Iron Man!
Best part about this meal is that it is super easy and quick to make. Yalla habibis:
- 1 -2 lbs chicken tenders
- Naan bread. Pita is okay, but naan is better for this
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp paprika
- 6 freshly grated garlic cloves
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all spices in a bowl. Add your olive oil and squeeze half of the lemon in. Then add the chicken in and make sure it is coated evenly. Set aside.
- Thinly slice your cucumber, tomato, and onion. Set that aside.
- Now heat up some vegetable oil in a frying pan. Let the oil come up to temperature. You will know it’s ready when you see a little bit of smoke.
- Add the chicken in and let it sear. Avoid flipping the chicken often. You want to get a nice sear on each side. It usually takes 5-7 minutes per side. Once one side is nice and brown, flip the chicken. Chicken tenders are thin and cook quickly, so keep an eye on them.
- Once chicken is done cooking, remove from the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Slice the chicken evenly.
- Grab your naan bread. Spread a teaspoon of mayo and a spoonful of hummus. You can adjust these portions as you like.
- Add some chicken, then toss in some cucumbers, a few slices of tomatoes, and some onions.
- Final touch: drizzle some tahini and squeeze a few drops of lemon juice.
And by now you should have a shawarma sandwich that is to die for.